Saturday 22 September 2012

Strictly Pancakes l Please, stop feeding me!


Strictly Pancakes. Home to some of the fluffiest, thickest pancakes in Singapore. But were they any good? Read on to find out.



K, my foodie-in-crime, and I had 1 1/2 hours to kill before class started, so I suggested we headed to Strictly Pancakes for brunch since we were talking about it the last time. Excited, we paved our way down at 11.15am and sat under the blistering heat for 15 mins till they opened.

If you guys have never been to SP (Or better yet, heard of it) you guys must definitely not be fans of pancakes. Be it good or bad, SP was established way before the Brunch hype was cooked up. From savory to sweet pancakes, Strictly Pancakes offer a variety of foods for those greedy enough to conquer pancakes topped with the choice of garlic butter prawns or in chocolatey goodness.

Strawberries & Co ($10 +$1 for chocolate pancakes)

Savour your medium stack with seasonal mixed berries fresh from the grocer, cream and strawberry coulis served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

It was my 2nd time at SP and so I decided to be adventurous - I swapped my regular pancakes for chocolate pancakes! Plus strawberries do go well with chocolate, no? I paid an extra $1 for the chocolate pancakes but I really didn't mind. The food took about 10 mins to arrive and when they did, the portions were huge. By huge I mean I can't wait to dig in and I know I'll die after about 2 1/2 pancakes but I'll gobble the whole meal up anyway huge. 

The pancakes were a delight to eat. Chocolate batter made to perfection, soft and fluffy. The cream atop the pancakes complemented the pancakes as well. However the strawberry puree was a bit too sweet for my liking (And artificial) and the portion was too tiny. The ice-cream tasted like any regular ice-cream. No kick, and it didn't taste very appetizing.

3.5/5 (Only cause I loved the chocolate pancakes)

Bananas-Butterscotched ($10)

Caramelised bananas sizzled in a pan with a dash of rum drizzled over a medium stack, served with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Foodie-in-crime had bananas-butterscotched (I really have no idea why it's butterscotched not butterscotch but anyway...) First thing she said when I asked how it was was "If you're a fan of banana you'd like this" Sweet, almost too sweet in my opinion. The pancakes were drowned in caramelized banana puree and topped with fresh bananas and a side of vanilla ice-cream. I grabbed a bite from her and note to self: Only order this if you LOVE bananas and are in need of a cause for diabetes. 

3/5


3 pancakes were too much for us. I had difficulty finishing mine and F-I-C didn't finish hers either. Just like how finishing a plate of cabonara can be found as a struggle, so were the pancakes. If you do go down though, please do me a favor and swap your plain ole' pancakes for some chocolate ones. You'd be doing your tummy a favor.

And how was service, you wonder? Let's just say when we asked for recommendations after 15 mins of doing nothing but staring at the menu in an air conditioned room that felt like we were in a furnace (And perhaps only because we were the 1st customers), the waitress kept asking us if we wanted sweet or savory even though we specifically told her we needed recommendations and were open to anything.

Will I be back? No, sadly. As much as I used to think this place was good, I don't intend on coming back. Not after brunch places like Riders Cafe, Choupinette and Batter Flutter Flaps (All of which apart  from the first I've been dying to try) have opened its doors

In all honesty you're better off buying those pancakes from Macdonalds, slapping on a generous amount of chocolate/maple syrup in the comfort of your own home laughing to a sitcom. Don't take my word for it though.

Strictly Pancakes
44A Prinsep Street Singapore 188674
 6333 4202

Opening Hours
Mon: 6pm – 10pm
Tue–Thu: 11.30am – 10pm
Fri: 11.30am – 12am
Sat: 10am – 12am
Sun: 10am – 10pm

Xoxo
Thehungryunicorn

No comments: