Tuesday 25 September 2012

The B Word.

The B Word.


A word we sometimes experience from time to time. A word many have heard of but might not know about. Today, I'm here to talk about binging.

Being a foodie (As I've said many times), I love food. My vices especially include chocolate. Ask any of my friends and they'd tell you I'm one of the biggest chocolate lovers around. When I was younger, I used to gobble down about 4-5 pieces of Fred chocolate bars and then proceed with a box of chocolate pokey sticks and then more chocolate. It's such a wonder why I haven't landed up a role in Hansel and Gretel.

What is Binge Eating?

People with binge eating disorder often eat an unusually large amount of food and feel out of control during the binges. Unlike bulimia or anorexia, binge eaters do not throw up their food, exercise a lot, or eat only small amounts of only certain foods. Because of this, binge eaters are often overweight or obese.

People with binge eating disorder also may:

  • Eat more quickly than usual during binge episodes
  • Eat until they are uncomfortably full
  • Eat when they are not hungry
  • Eat alone because of embarrassment
  • Feel disgusted, depressed, or guilty after overeating

Some of us seek comfort in food when we're upset, angered or emotionally unstable. Some don't. I don't usually seek comfort in foods unless I'm happy, which is the reverse. The happier I am, the more I eat.

But here's a little note for you:
Spot the difference?

I'm here today to tell all of you that food does not have to serve as a source of comfort. There are so many other ways of relieving stress like going out for a run, or catching up with friends. Hey, there's even Tumblr to cheer you up when you're on the verge of explosion! 

Everyone has a Choice. More often than not we over-indulge because we always tell ourselves "I'll work out afterwards so it's no worries" or "I'll eat lesser tomorrow to make up for today" But how much truth is actually in there?

Why do we Binge Eat?

From past experiences, I realize I only binge eat when I either:

1. Haven't eaten properly the whole day
or
2. Force myself not to think about food cravings like chocolate, fried food, etc

I'd over-indulge in foods, even when I was full simply because I was greedy. It was as if I was about to die the day after and had to eat all the food I wanted to satisfy my unsatisfiable stomach.

Help! How do I stop Binge Eating?

Simple. I've come to the conclusion that no foods should be prohibited. I believe we're all allowed to eat anything we want, but in moderation



If you keep eating yogurt every single day, chances are by the end of the week you'd end up with cravings like waffles, pancakes or cereal. Likewise with chocolate. If we keep indulging in fatty foods like fried food, pastries and breads daily, chances are one day you'd step on the weighing scale only to realize you've put on 3-4kg.

------



I hope this article has given you a clearer insight on what binge eating is, what causes it and how to stop binge eating. Don't forget that not eating doesn't help. It simply slows your metabolic rate down and when you start eating normally again, you'd gain double the amount back!

Xoxo
Thehungryunicorn

No comments: