Wednesday 12 September 2012

Au Chocolat l Chocolate lovers, say I!

Au Chocolat
French Inspired Bistro for the young and young at heart


Taking up a whopping 4000 over sqft, Au Chocolat was a place that was on my To-Eat list since @dtjy blogged about her experience there. It piqued my interest and I told myself that, being a chocolate fanatic myself, I should pay a visit. I didn't expect to see the restaurant/bakery occupying about one whole section of the 1st floor.


Located above the skating rink at level 1, Au Chocolat's like a mini Willy Wonka wonderland. A french inspired bistro and confectionary filled with candies such as gummy bears, licorice to other more fancy items such as tarts and cakes. It's little wonder how one can not be captivated by the ambience. There's even a train that circles around the restaurant above you as you eat! Now how much of a child's dream is this?



I went to Au Chocolat with the impression that they only served chocolate-related items. Little did I know they also served savory items like duck confit and burgers.


And look at their adorable coasters!


We settled for the Au Chocolat Benedict and their star burger which I've sadly forgotten the name of it. Yes my memory is that bad. I just had this about 2 hours ago.

Truffle Fries ($15)

Our first order. Thick strips of fried potato deep-fried in truffle oil with BBQ and mayonnaise sauces by the side. In all honesty I've no idea what the whole truffle oil hype is, but this was good. Although I feel the fries could be thinner, this was still worth the calories.

4/5

Au Chocolat Benefict ($18)
Described as 2 perfectly poached eggs atop crispy bacon, spinach, tomato on an english muffin drenched in their 'secret' hollandaise sauce which consists of chocolate infused with red wine.


Anything with chocolate draws me, so I decided to give this a go. It wasn't as fantastic as I expected it to be sadly. Maybe I pinned my hopes too high on it, but the egg lacked 'taste' and was surprisingly didn't have the after-vinegar taste normal poached eggs would have. The bacon was well done though, cripsy and to perfection. The sauce was a winner too, suited for people who are willing to try new flavors. I especially loved the vinaigrette dressing that came along with the salad! It was far from your regular dressing and definitely worth eating your greens for.

3.5/5

My partner in crime ordered the house burger in which I've forgotten the name of ($24) Hugeass juicy portobello mushrooms, a slice of oozing cheese, beef tenderloin, tomato and greens sandwiched between 2 lightly toasted sesame buns. Comes with a side of fries and salad.

According to her, the beef was a tad bit tough. No praises nor problems about this burger apparently! But be warned, this is one HUGE burger. The fries are definitely different from truffle fries, in which I'd prefer the latter.

---

Service was, in general, fast and efficient. Waiters kept checking on us every 5-7 mins, looking to see if we needed any help. The staff was generally friendly, too. Will I come back? Most probably. I'd definitely wanna try some of their desserts and their duck confit!

Au Chocolat
2 Bayfront Ave, #01-03
The Shoppes @ Marina Bay Sands, Singapore

Opening Hours
Mon – Sun: 11:00am – 12:00am



& what's life without dessert? Before heading back for class, I told partner in crime "Eh follow me to Merely, I wanna get some ice-cream." She looked at me like I was crazy but hey, I've got a stomach and it needed dessert.

I opted for the Horlicks Panda ($3.30 for NAFA students), after hearing the rave reviews by classmates. Creamy and milky with bits of what I would think are horlicks bits inside, this was the perfect way to end lunch.

4.5/5

Merely Icecream
91 Bencoolen Street, #01-13
Sunshine Plaza, Singapore

Opening Hours
Mon–Thu: 11.30am – 9.30pm
Fri–Sat: 11.30am – 11pm
(Closed on Sun)

Now off to exercise the fats away and prepare for my trip to Taiwan with Thboy! Live life, run fast and eat while you can fellow foodies.

Xoxo
Thehungryunicorn







No comments: