Saturday 9 June 2012

Saturday: Lazy Day // Chocolat N' Spice // Pâtisserie Glacé

Today I'll be talking about a muffin place quite a number of people already know: Chocolat N' Spice located at Tanjong Pajar/Shunfu Road/Telok Blangah. I went to the one @ TP after Muaythai class and ended up walking all the way from Shenton House to TP thinking that it would be near. Yes I'm an idiot like this. Sigh.

But it was worth the walk! I had a little bit of difficulty locating the place but if you're near Icon Village, you know you're near Tanjong Pajar Plaza. 


I went on a Saturday afternoon arnd 2pm and there were about 4-5 people in front of me. Whilst waiting for my turn I heard the little girl in front of me shouting repeatedly "Mommy I want the coffee walnut one I want the coffee walnut one!" She said it in a pretty cute way, roleplaying how she would receive the muffin from the counter and her sister being the cashier. Awwwwww.


So I ended up getting 4 flavours:
Blueberry ($1.40), Cheese ($1.20), Double Chocolate ($1.40) & Cranberry ($1.40)



Blueberry Muffin ($1.40)
Boy was I in for a treat! I had it the next morning (Yes I actually didn't touch any of them till the next day which was a miracle) and it was still moist, decadent and flavourful. I would attribute the moistness to the amount of butter they included but I refused to think about it. Heh. The blueberries were aplenty, which was a plus point. Definitely one of the better muffins I've had! 4.5/5

Cheese Muffin ($1.20)
Now I've heard many rave reviews about this particular muffin so I decided to get one since you rarely hear of cheese muffins. I was quite disappointed though. There was very little cheese in the muffin, resulting the muffin to be a plain, regular muffin albeit the flavour of it was really good. If they added more cheese it would be much better, imo. 3.5/5

I didn't get a chance to snap any pictures of the double chocolate or cranberry cos I whipped them up later that night without giving much thought as to taking my phone out. But I personally loved the Double Chocolate Chip Muffin ($1.40) Rich, full of chocolate chips and fluffy like how a muffin should be, it left me wanting more. Now, I wish I could head down to get another one instead of being stuck in the office... However I still think the chocolate chip muffin @ Sunshine Plaza wins hands down due to its crispiness on the outside and moistness on the inside. 4.5/5

The Cranberry Muffin ($1.40) wasn't too bad too. However all the muffins started to taste alike due to the same batter they would use for all of them. Not complaining but just letting you guys know it's just the ingredients that change the name of the muffin. 3.7/5

Will I be going back to Chocolat N' Spice for more? Sure, I'd love to try their coffee mocha and pumpkin muffin soon. Be sure to go early to avoid disappointment cos I heard their muffins run out fast!

Chocolat N' Spice
Blk 320, #02-12 & #02-13 Shunfu Mart (Shunfu Market) Singapore 570320 (View map) Business Hours : 8.30am - 2.30pm (Tues. - Sat.) Closed on Sun. & Mon. 
 Phone Orders (No delivery): 93830413 
(Every Tues. - Fri. 2.30 pm - 5.30pm)
Please note: ** Muffins are sold on a while stocks last basis. Please come early to avoid disappointment. ** 
Selected cheesecakes/mousse cakes (by slices) are only available on Saturday. 

Blk 1 #01-18, Tanjong Pagar Plaza (Opp. Amara Hotel) Singapore 082001 (View map) 
Business Hours : 8.30am - 5.30pm (Tues. - Sat.) Closed on Sun. & Mon. & Public Holidays
 Phone Orders (No delivery): 92762110 (After 5.30pm daily) 
 Please note: ** Muffins are sold on a while stocks last basis. Please come early to avoid disappointment. ** Selected cheesecakes/mousse cakes (by slices) are sold daily

Blk 78B, #01-27, Telok Blangah St. 32, Singapore 102078 (View map) 
 Business Hours : 8.30am - 2.30pm (Tues. - Sat.) Closed on Sun. & Mon.


So since I was in the area, I decided to give Pâtisserie Glacé a try after walking past it at Icon Village and realizing their cakes were made of tofu! Being a fan of tofu I grabbed 2 things:



Mango Tofu Chiffon Cake ($5+)
I can't remember the exact price I paid for this but for $5, this was good stuff. It was soft, light, and definitely not sinful! I loved the texture of the cake together with the mango bits. It felt like I was biting into tiny pieces of fluffy clouds (Did that make any sense? Prolly not.) Having never tried anything like this before, I would love to grab this again when I'm around that area. 4.7/5

I also got a Peach Rin Rin Cheesetart ($3.20) which isn't pictured cos I, as always, was too hungry so I dug in before snapping a pic. It was pretty small for the price though, $3.20 for a pre-packaged tart the size of your palm? But it was rich, crumbly, and heavenly. I love all things decadent and cheesy, so this was definitely the tart for me. It would go best with some coffee or tea though as it gets a little too much after a while. 4.5/5

Will I be coming back? A resounding yes! I remember my birthday cake being bought from Pâtisserie Glacé and it was soooooooo good. It's a little on the pricey side but for cakes this good and 'healthy' (or healthi-er in that sense) yes I'd be willing to pay.

Pâtisserie Glacé
12 Gopeng Street #01-33/34 Icon Village Singapore 078877
+65-6400-0247



No comments: