Tuesday 4 February 2014

January Favourites '14

A new year, a new beginning.

I decided to compile a few of my favourite things for the month of January and why I picked them. Hope you guys find something useful here!:)

Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua
SGD75 for 30ml
Never having been a fan of foundation, I decided to pick the Vitalumiere up because the beautician at the counter told me it isn't of a very thick consistency and yet would still hold up the whole day. For me, this the perfect light weight liquid foundation and the only one I would use. It's not oily, sits well on the skin and works good with or without a loose powder. Definitely recommending this for people who don't want a full face of makeup and want to opt for something more 'natural'.

Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate
SGD90+ for 30ml
My holy grail. After cleansing and toning every night, I'd apply 2 (Yup just 2) drops of this on. Although made from different oils, it isn't the slightest bit oily and promises to rejuvenate your skin by morning. Back in Singapore, my skin is more of a combination where my T-zone can get pretty oily but this product doesn't produce more oil, in fact it helps keep it under control! It's not cheap, in fact it was wayyyy out of my budget but I bit the bullet and decided to purchase it after hearing such rave reviews about it. I've had this product for nearly 1 1/2 years and I'm STILL using the same bottle (with about 1/4 left!) 

Batiste Dry Shampoo in Oriental
£1.49 (SGD 3) for 120g
I know this isn't sold in Singapore, but boy I wish it was. I've tried several different dry shampoos and most didn't work for me. They would either leave specks of white/grey on my hair or it causes my scalp to itch. Worst of all it would come in a powder form, in which I would either apply too much or too little. Batiste, however, works like magic. All you need to do is spray the product (Much like a hairspray) onto your scalp and rub it in, and your hair would look like you've just washed it again! For those of you that wash your hair infrequently, I'd recommend this product to keep those tassles lookin' gorgeous.

Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser
£4.99 (About SGD10)
I bought this on a whim seeing that the product was new and I had a coupon I had to use up. The instant pore eraser promises to erase your pores leaving your skin prepped and ready for flawless makeup. What I love about this is that it's small, handy and does the job! It erases the bumps on my face and leaves it ready for you to either leave it as it is, or apply your foundation over it.

Sugar Rose Lip Balm by FRESH
SGD30
There was a period of time when my lips were so chapped, I resorted to heeding my friend's advice and getting this lipbalm. At SGD30, this is the 2nd most expensive lip product I've bought. My friend was going on and on about how this would soften your lips and induce a nice sheen of red, and it does! It leaves a tint of red and moisturises as promised. However if you suffer from extremely chapped lips I would recommend getting something with no fragrance or a more medicinal lip balm.

Topshop Highlighter in Cresent Moon
£9.90 (SGD 20)
I've heard this from various Youtubers (Claire Marshall to mention cos she's awesome) about how magnificent and affordable this highlighter from Topshop is. As I was in search of one, I asked my friend in London to get it for me. Much like what everyone else says, it's a gorgeous shade that complements various skin tones, but for heavy handed girls like me, it's recommended you don't add too much for fear of looking like a disco ball!

Benetint Lip and Cheek Tint from Benefit
SGD50
The oh so famous Benetint. Initially, I was apprehensive on purchasing this cos my cheek + lip tint from Body Shop was serving me well (And it only cost $19.90!) But since I had a voucher I decided why not... I love how the tint stays on all day and gives you the perfect shade of red/pink. Although I might not repurchase this again, it's definitely something I would use on lazy days.

Elvin. Crystal Quartz Celestial Necklace from Regal Rose
£15 (SGD 30)
This item can be bought from Regal Rose here
I cannot emphasize how in love I am with RR's jewellery! They're perfect statement necklaces for simple or extravagant days. I went on a crazy online spree and bought several items. They were delivered within 3 days and I can definitely say I'll be back for more:)

Christian Dior's Creme de Rose Smoothing Plumping Lip Balm
£20 (SGD 40)
Yet another highly recommended item by friends, I splurged and bought the most expensive lip balm (in the universe...) I wouldn't say this is the BEST product I've bought, though many so rave about how it smoothens and plumps the lips (It only smoothens mine). I'm pretty sure I won't be buying this product again but it leaves a subtle yet noticeable pop of colour to your lips. 

Samsung S4 Flamingo Case
£12.59 (Around SGD 26)
This item can be purchased on Etsy, here.
My previous case was about to melt into my phone and I had to do something about it (Or come up with an excuse) so I hopped onto Etsy and started looking for S4 cases. I chanced upon TonCase, a korean based online seller that sells a variety of phone cases. I like the durability of the case and how it holds up. I've used it for a week and it hasn't been scratched yet. And how can one resist Flamingos?

Dolly Wink Eyeliner Pencil in Brown
SGD 19.90/each
I've recently been into a more natural look when I line my eyes. And since that's the only thing I do when I leave the house, it's important I have an eyeliner that is smudge/waterproof free. Dolly wink is one of my favourite Japanese brands that I would buy without having to read reviews on it. It's the Japanese.. C'mon. :)

NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Damned
£18 (Around SGD 36)
I've gone CRAZY over NARS lip pencils. Even more so with NARS's Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Damned. It takes a bit of skill to put on, especially with it's matte texture and saturation. But once you get it right you'll realise how much difference a good lipstick makes!

NARS Bronzing Powder in Irresistible
£26 (Around SGD 52)
Last but not least, the NARS bronzing power. I know several people would rather use the shade Laguna, but the beautician recommended I take this shade for a more natural look. I have to admit, I'm pretty sure they're better bronzing powders out there. Even though this isn't long lasting it does contour the face pretty nicely and gives a healthy, glowing finish.

----------------

I hope you guys gained something from reading my opinion on these items, do feel free to comment if you think you've a good product to recommend!:)






No comments: