Monday 29 April 2013

How To Store: Mint Leaves

Hi!

Forgive me for the extremely slow updates. My last exam falls this Thursday and I can assure you once I'm done you'll be begging me to stop updating frequently.

But today I'm here to show you guys how to store herbs. I'm sure you've been through this before. You find a recipe online, gawk at the beautifully done masterpiece on your 13" laptop and a surge of inspiration runs through you. You decide to get all the ingredients in this delicious, delicious dish and once you've had your fair share as a masterchef in the kitchen, left with ingredients you have no idea how to store.

And since I've been meaning to make a mint yogurt dressing for my baked fish tonight, I grabbed some mint leaves from Cold Storage after a run this morning.


Herbs (Pronounced erbs) are a beautiful thing. Small bunches of delight, prone to the destruction by our brambly hands. I have to admit I am horrible at storing anything that deserves only the best. I dump my spinach and romaine lettuce in the fridge the minute I get home in the package itself because I'm lazy. But as of late I have been trying to cultivate the habit of preserving these Godsent hues of green because they do deserve more than just being dumped into the vegetables section of the fridge. And also cos I have to fork out $6 friggin dollars for spinach leaves and $12 for kale. 

In case you don't know what mint leaves can be used for, I found a couple of recipes online that call for them.


Or a perk me up, lemon water with fresh mint. (Yea those fancyass water you pay service tax/7% GST for and you force yourself to not think about how much of a ripoff it can be)

-----

How To Store:

Mint Leaves

1. Prepare 2 squares of paper towels.
2. Take the mint leaves out of the package.
3. Wash them lightly over running water.
4. Place the leaves (with/without the stems, to your preference) on the towel.
5. Leave to dry for about 15-20 mins.
6. Using a separate paper towel, pat the top of the mint leaves to absorb any remaining liquids.
7. Place mint leaves on a new paper towel.
8. Fold into a square, ensuring you don't crush them.
9. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for a maximum of 1 week.

-----

Till next time,
xx


No comments: