Saturday 12 January 2013

Skyve Elementary Bistro Bar + Drips Bakery Cafe

Good afternoon fellow foodies! 

If you all noticed, I stopped cafe hopping/brunching for a bit as being in England made me realise how much I missed my chinese food and the Asian unicorn in me insisted on having hawker centre food for weeks on end. But I met up with a lovely friend today so I decided to go somewhere a lil fancier to catch up. I'm so glad we did.


I've heard a lot about Skyve Elementary & Bistro Bar along Winesdt Road at Newton. Silly me assumed it was right beside the Newton station so we got lost for a bit. The sun was scorching, the weather showed no mercy earlier today but thankfully with the help of google maps we managed to find our way:)

No idea who the dude is above, he was in the picture and wouldn't budge :(

Nestled in a discreet little nook near Newton Circus, the place was rather quiet for brunch. However it was just the way we liked it.

As described on its website: Brought to you by the same team behind the well-received Table 66, Skyve is a casual redux of its predecessor, with friendlier prices for similar quality and service. Self-described as mod bistro, the food here is a bevy of familiar, comforting flavours prepared with modern culinary techniques by master of sous-vide, Chef Vincent Teng.


Their menu was simple and unpretentious. Brunch food served with love. If your stomach isn't calling for eggs or toast, opt for their pizzas and burgers instead. The portion can be a wee bit small but it's perfect for a light brunch.

Skyve Sous Vide Egg Benedict, SGD18
2 poached eggs, sourdough bread, grilled portobello mushroom, sweet corn, arugula salad & hollandaise sauce

Having heard SO much about this, I had to order this. Basically, what Sous Vide means is food being cooked sealed in airtight plastic bags in a water bath, not more than 100°c. A dish literally cooked to perfection, every single item on the plate helped enhance the flavour of each ingredient. The corn was nicely buttered and sweet in itself, the arugula salad lightly dressed, portobello mushrooms nicely placed at the side with the most heavenly toasted sourdough bread and 2 poached eggs atop glorious hollandaise sauce.

I could have it all over again.

Ricotta Hotcakes, SGD18
Maple syrup, passionfruit butter, roasted almond flakes, fresh bananas

You have the option of taking certain things our of your dish, as my friend did with bananas. I didn't really ask her how she felt about the hotcakes but she looked like she was enjoying it! The pancakes are definitely thinner than those you find at Macdonalds thus easier to eat without your stomach exploding from the heaviness of the hotcakes.

You can check out the rest of their menu here 


I also especially like how they aren't pretentious with the name of their dishes. No fancy french words, no hard to remember names. The concept of the restaurant was simple, too. Choose either the indoor seating scattered with sofas or your regular table and chairs or an alfresco environment with nature & even a swing for both young and old to enjoy.

Food was served especially fast, we were served 10 minutes into ordering. Service staff was alright. We paid SGD42 for 2 in total which was pretty worth it in my opinion:)

Skyve Elementary Bistro &Bar
No.10 Winstedt Road Block E, #01-17
Open Daily: Monday to Sunday (including Public Holidays)
10am to late

Reserve:+65 6225 6690

E-mail:enquiry@skyve.sg
Facebook:www.facebook.com/SkyveEBB



Also on my to-go list was Drips Bakery Cafe along Tiong Poh Road. I can finally tick this off my list. Surprisingly the place was extremely quiet! I could count the number of people in the cafe with my two hands, that was how quiet the place was. Fantastic!





Drips Bakery Cafe serves light food like sandwiches and quiche, along with their more well known items like tarts and brownies. Coffee and tea is also a great add-on for tea/dessert.


A rather extensive menu for a small cafe, we were in for a treat.


They even sell Korean stationary too!


And yes, butter cakes. How can anyone resist?
 

Mixed Fruit Tarts, SGD 7

We both decided on the mixed fruit tart. I was initially eyeing the colossal apple crumble tart but had to resist and decided to try their all time famous tart. A dessert perfect for one.


What I liked most about the tart was the fact it was its simplicity. A very thin base with custard atop and caramelized blueberries and huge rasberries, it was light yet filling all at once. Unlike tarts which have an extremely thick base (Which I really love), this dessert was very nicely balanced out. 

So if you're ever in the area, don't forget to drop by Drips. It's definitely worth a sit down. Service was okay but I'll definitely be back for my apple crumble tart.

Drips Bakery Café
82 Tiong Poh Road, #01-05, S(160082)
6222 0400

Opening hours:
Sun - Thur : 11.00am - 9.30pm
Fri & Sat : 11.00am - 11.00pm




No comments: